Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Day My Father Died

The day my father died
I could not cry;
My mother cried,
Not I.

His face on the pillow
In the dim light
Wrote mourning to me,
Black and white.

We saw him struggle,
Stiffen, relax;
The face fell empty,
Dead as wax.

I'd read of death
But never seen.
My father's face, I swear,
Was not serene;

Topple that lie,
However appealing:
That face was abscence
Of all feeling.

My mother's tears were my tears,
Each sob shook me:
The pain of death is living,
The dead are free.

For me my father's death
Was my mother's sorrow;
That day was her day,
Loss was tomorrow.

Mervyn Morris The Pond, 1973

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good poem

1:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've always loved this poem; a week after i first read it the love of my life (my grandmother) transcended this life into paradise, leaving me in my grief and longing for her....i was in morris's homecountry jamaica.

1:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was the first poem i learn i love it

11:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this poem when my father died in 1987 and it has stuck in my mind since. I remember everything like it was yesterday.My mother really cried because she was physically blind at the time and he was her physical sight.However,words cannot explain this type of experience. I sometimes wonder what the writer was going through when he/she wrote this poem?

3:07 pm  
Blogger Kékéli said...

Anonymous, this poem struck a chord especially the day of his funeral. It was about my mother's loss of a husband. She was allowed/expected to cry, but we children were required to be "strong" to support her. This wasn't space for us to mourn on that day. Everyday since then I feel the loss though.

7:15 am  
Blogger Tom Dawkes said...

Kékéli

I was very pleased to find this poem on line, and appreciate your placing it. Just a small point: 'absence' not 'absence'.

Best wishes
Tom

9:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home