Saturday, November 18, 2006

1st impressions of Lomé

It is hot.
I was expecting Lomé to be humid and hot, but not this hot.
Picking up the phone and dialling numbers makes me break a sweat
Towelling myself after a cold shower too
so I don't do a thing.
It is HOT.

Il fait chaud, vraiment très chaud.
Je transpire a grosses gouttes au moindre geste alors je ne fais rien!



I had forgotten how sweet pinapples really are. I was bracing myself for the usual tang that comes with the canned stuff, instead it tastes like honey but nicer. Canned pineapples are only good for piña coladas anyways.

J'avais oublié que les ananas étaient sucrés! plus jamais les ananas en boite à part peut être pour faire des piña colada



Just like I discovered in Tai Chi classes, it is very hard to slow down and adopt a slower pace. Here things happen "soon", "later", "in a while", tomorrow. It is difficult to adjust when coming from a place of here and now.
Six years on, things havent really changed in Lomé, or more accurately things havnt changed for the better. The city is looking shabbier than ever. Wednesday I experienced my 1st power cut. The electricity went down at 6 pm on the dot and i ended up helping my cousins do their homework under the light of one of those rechargeable lamp. The electricity goes out every other day or so exept for the weekend I have been told, and each neighbourhood at a different time. Wednesday it was from 6pm till 2 am, Friday it was from 8 am till noon. Consequences of old and decrepit power plants, and the country's unability to pay its bills to the neighbouring country producer of energy.
Things havn't changed really

Ici on fait les choses plutard, demain, bientôt. Débarquant d'un monde ou tout se passe maintenant et tout de suite, ce n'est pas facile de ralentir la cadence.
Lomé ne s'est pas améliorée en 6 ans. Les choses ont l'air un peu plus miteuses a vrai dire. Le seul vrai changement sont les coupures de courant un jour sur deux. Il parait aue cela fait quelaues moi que ça dure. Chaque quartier voit son alimentation en électricité disparaitre quelques heures a tour de role.
Je me suis retrouvée a aider mes cousines a faire leurs devoirs a la lueur d'une lampe tempête mercredi soir car il n'y avait plus de jus de 18h à 2h du matin , et privée d'éléctricité vendredi de 8h à midi. Comme dis mon cousin, le Togo est un pays en voie de sous développement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home